Functional Outcome of Fracture Tibia Using Dcp Implant With Mipo Method And Technology

Research Article
Vijay Mahantesh Sunkad*, Vijaya Mahanth Prasad.K, Jyothi Gopal and Chethana. K.V
Minimal Invasive Plate Osteosyntheis (MIPO), Biological Osteosynthesis (BO), Intramedullary Nailing (IMN)

Background: The tibia is the most commonly fractured bone of all the long bones of the body. Due to its poor blood supply and less soft tissue coverage there is an increased incidence of delayed union and non union. Biological plating techniques are those in which blood supply to the fractured fragments is maximally preserved. Aims and Objectives: 1. To access the over all final functional results of patient and return to normal activity. 2. To evaluate the Union rate and the average time taken for fracture union with MIPPO. Methodology: Study was conducted between December 2009 to November 2012. 168 adult patients of either sex with diaphyseal fracture of tibia (upper 2/3rd shaft) were the study group (Males 112 Females 56). Open fractures were excluded. Results: 168 cases of fracture of diaphysis of tibia were managed by dynamic compression plate using MIPO technique. Majority of the subjects were males 84% and the rest 16% were females. The study revealed that most of tibial diaphyseal fractures (68%) occurred in young adults ie less than 30 years of age. 59 cases were tibial shaft fractures,48 were mid1/3,44 were distal 1/3,9 were segmental,8 were isolated tibia fractures. The average duration of union of the fracture in mid shaft tibia was 8-12 weeks, upper 2/3 rd and lower 1/3rd junction was 8-10 weeks, lower 2/3rd and upper 1/3rd junction is 8-10 weeks, segmental 14-16 weeks, isolated tibia 8-9 weeks.